Position Software Engineer
Industry: Machine Learning
Employment type: Full Time
Experience: 2 year
Qualification: Degree Holder
Location: Austin, TX (Hybrid)
Software Engineer – Machine Learning
Skyways · Austin, TX (Hybrid)
- At Skyways we are building a new form of air transportation. Some people call it the flying car. We believe fully autonomous unmanned aerial vehicles represent a unique opportunity to move things and ultimately people in new, more efficient ways. Our strategy to get there is completely different from the rest of the industry.
- Skyways is a startup based in Austin, TX. We are backed by some of the most respected investors in Silicon Valley including YCombinator. Although we consider ourselves early-stage, we already have vehicles in production and in the hands of paying customers (see here and here). Come join us and work on a transportation revolution to advance our civilization!
- Note: most of our jobs are located in Austin TX, with the notable exception of software related roles.
- We are growing and looking for a ML/CV/AI Software Engineer to join our team.
- Having a solid math/science foundation is critical for the role, since you’ll need to understand and work with flight dynamics and also help support mechanical engineers by writing software for hardware test stands.
- We are also looking for a candidate who is excited about things that fly, not afraid of tough engineering challenges, and eager and able to learn quickly and work in an extremely fast-paced startup environment.
- STUDENTS/NEW GRADUATES: This job requires 3 years post graduation experience, new grad/internship openings are posted separately and applying here may misdirect your application for the roles you are qualified for!
- work with more senior engineers to build new ML training pipelines, add features to existing systems, and fix bugs (Python)
- write software for CV inference at the edge (C++ mostly)
- go through design review process
- reason about your decisions based on data (experiments, math/science)
- maintain a clean codebase by doing code reviews, writing tests, utilizing continuous integration
- learn and promote software engineering best practices
- ship software to production (i.e. our aircraft but also network-based applications)
- maintain production systems
- work with flight ops to test your software and iterate/improve at high speed
- education in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field — a formal education isn’t required but you’ll be expected to know backend and low-level fundamentals
- 2+ years of experience in ML (CV preferred)
- familiarity with PyTorch or TensorFlow and training ML models
- familiarity with inference (C++ preferred) and performance optimization at the edge
- interest in aerospace
- ability and willingness to learn a thousand things in a hundred days
- be an awesome and friendly individual
- be open minded to learn more about both software best practices and our field (your code will fly, it’s a big deal)
- bonus points if you have experience with software running onboard a vehicle/robot
- bonus points if you have experience with flight controls / control theory